Saturday, May 3, 2008

Game of the Week in Hohenems

---below is a translation of my interview with Thomas Muck of www.die-namenlosen.at---
Exclusive
Blue Devils-Coach Bonnell in Interview
AFL Preview: A Decision in Hohenems

As the AFL begins to wrap up one of the most intriguing and exciting regular season's that have been seen in many years, every game has a taken a playoff character.

The game of the week sees the Raiffeisen Vikings of Vienna travelling across the country to the Cineplexx Blue Devils Hohenems, in Vorarlberg. The importance of this game is very clear: the winner is in the playoffs and the loser is not.

In the buildup to the game, we spoke with the Defensive Coordinator of the Vorarlbergers, Raymond Bonnell, about his opponent, his own team, an
Im Vorfeld des Spiels befragen wir den Defensive Coordinator der Vorarlberger Raymond Bonnell, über den Gegner, sein eigenes Team, his personal future and the upcoming European soccer tournament.

The Namenlosen: On Saturday you watched the Vikings vs Black Lions Game in Vienna. What are your impressions of this game?

Saturday was my first time in Hohe Warte, I was very impressed with the home crowd and their knowledge of the game. It was a great crowd; very noisy, and very involved. Footballwise, I was impressed with the improvement of the Lions. They've come together since we played them in week 1 and they have a much more organized approach to the game. I think in the first half they moved the ball well with some good play calling and execution, but things slipped in the redzone a few times and cost them because you have to play mistake-free football against the Vikings. As for Vienna, I was very interested in the play of new QB Steve Levy, he is clearly a top level QB with a strong arm who will give us problems on Sunday, but I was most impressed with his running. He is a Pac10 calibre running back and really packs a punch when he lowers his shoulder. That combination with Graham's speed & elusiveness makes a nasty combination for us Defensive Coordinators to defend.


The Namenlosen: Was it a big surprise to you that the Vikings risk RB Clinton Graham for the Black Lions Game?

I wasn't too surpised to see him out on the field; he is a very tough guy who will do anything to help the Vikings get into the playoffs. What surpised me most was the effectiveness with which he ran. You could see the pain in his eyes and body composure between plays, but once the ball was snapped he played with the great quickness and explosiveness that he is known for. Hopefully someone can convince him to take the day off on Sunday. :)


The Namenlosen: Do you expect him or other injured players back for Sunday's Game?

This is a must-win game for both of our teams, I expect Graham to be back and play as strong as ever, the other player I really expect to come back is Floredo, he's got to coach on Saturday, but I wouldn't be suprised to see him back in the mix. I'm not sure about Robinson & Wimmer, but if there is any possibility, I know Calaycay will pull all the stops this weekend in attempt to secure a win and get into the playoffs.


The Namenlosen: Let's talk about Sunday's Game against the Vikings. What are you're expectations for the game?

We've got a very good defense, but knowing Calacay's play calling abilities, great players, and even better adjustments, it will be a very strategic game of cat & mouse that has me very excited to test my skills as a Defensive Coordinator. Offensively, I think we have a solid system and can be as explosive as anyone in Austria. We should be able to put some points on the board, but Vienna has a strong defense as well. This is going to be a very intriguing game, I wish we could play it right now (would save me a lot of sleep this week).


The Namenlosen: Did you find any weakness in the Vikings Offense?

I wish. The Vikings have a very strong running attack which is only improved with QB Steve Levy. I'd expect to see more option with the two and a more balanced running attack this week. The passing game is not as innovative as it was with Atwood, but with another week of preparation, alot of things will open up for Levy and his comfort with the system and WRs. Calaycay knows his stuff and will put his boys in a position to succeed, I just hope to put my boys in their way. :)


The Namenlosen: What can the fans expect from the Game?

This game will be playoff style football: fast, hard-nosed, emotional, and violent. The Raiders, Giants, and Dragons have all secured playoff spots, so this game is for the 4th and final post-season slot. The stakes are very simple and very high, we have a very long June and are eliminated from the AFL playoffs if we lose. The Vikings are in if they win. I expect both teams to pull out all the stops and do everything they can to win. Fans should expect a high level of effort from the players on the field, creative playcalling, and big-time players making big time plays. If I were not coaching, this is the game I would be at this weekend.


The Namenlosen: Let's talk about the rest of the season: What do you think is possible for your team?

Well, we still have everything in our own control. In the AFL, if we win this weekend, we'll have to beat Carinthia or Graz to get to the playoffs, I think we have the talent to compete with the best in Austria, and barring an injury-fest like we had versus Tirol, we can still acheive our team goal of making it to the Austrian Bowl, but we must win Sunday. In the EFAF Cup, I feel very confident that we can move ahead. We need to take care of business next week and move on to the Semifinal. From there, who knows? We have a very serious goal of winning the EFAF Cup, and feel we have a team that can do so, but that bridge is far down the road and I have a very large bridge looming ahead of me Sunday.


The Namenlosen: Is it harder to be successful in Europe than in Austria?

I think both present unique challenges. In Austria, we know eachother's strengths and weaknesses very intimately. In Europe, you have about two games of film to learn the other team and it is difficult to get out and scout future opponents, there is often little known of the national players and what they see week-in, week-out in their own countries. So, each presents unique challenges that are difficult, but all part of the beauty of the game. The talent level is clearly very high in this country and the import rules make the league very competitive. This is why I came back to Austria to coach. We'll see, Austria is fielding a strong set teams in international play, with all 3 teams in the Quarterfinals of the EFL, and all 3 teams in the EFAF Cup are still very much alive and are making moves toward the Semifinals. Needless to say, it is a very good time to be a part of the AFL.


The Namenlosen: Do you have a contract with the Blue Devils for the 2009 season?

I do not yet have a contract with the Blue Devils for the 2009 season, there has been an expressed interest in my return but we've put those negotiations on the sideburner until June. Right now, I've got enough on my plate just trying to defend the high-powered offenses of the AFL.


The Namenlosen: Finally, a question about the European Soccer Tournament. Is it true that you are a big soccer fan?

It is true that I am a very large soccer fan. I haev already purchased an Austrian National team soccer jersey and hope that they can pull off some surpises in June. It would be awesome for the country, and the tournament for the Austrians to win a few games. I hope to see at least two games live and would love to be in attendance for the crazy atmosphere that will be the Austria-Germany group matchup in Vienna.


The Namenlosen: Are you also a fan of Austria, the country?

I have a very large place in my heart for this country. I married my beautiful wife here, discovered that I would be a father here, the people are very open and friendly. The vistas are absolutely stunning with a very diverse topography. Austria has a very unique culture and for myself and my family, Austria really is a second home to us.

Thank you for the interview!

No comments: