Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Snowbowl

Well, it has snowed for the last 6 days in Hohenems. None moreso than today; I awoke to an inch & a half of white stuff on the ground, went into Dornbirn but got lost on the way to the trainstation. Along the way I said good morning to a young preschooler who was shocked and scoldingly told me "gar nix Morgen! Sch'mittags DU! (It ain't morning; it's already midday, you!). There's something wonderful about the upfront nature of the VorArlbergers, much like going to NYC or something.

I finally got to Dornbirn just in time for the noon lunch hour (in Austria/Germany shops close down so that their workers can go home or to a restaurant for lunch, many for two hours). So I window shopped for an hour (in blizzard conditions) before finally getting back to the cell phone store to purchase a pre-pay phone. Great deal, got it for 45euro (something like $70US - could be more with how the dollar is falling in value). Either way, it was great to get that settled and the freedom of having a phone opens me up to getting away from the house more often (living with two married couples can be draining to a guy who dearly misses his wife & child).

But the big news of the day, really, is that I finally was able to coordinate our defense. Luis did a lovely job installing the defense, and I think we've got an able body of players to compete for a league title. On top of that we practiced in the snow. First I worked with the Junior team (high school aged kids), not many showed up due to the weather, but we got a good workout in. After that the AFL1 team worked through a crisp 2 hour workout with little complaining of the freezing weather. I was really excited that Mark Falger, a former Austrian player of mine, has taken on the role of Defensive Line Coach. I think it presents a new era Austrian football: experienced, highly qualified & gifted Austrian coaches teaching the game to Austrians. I must say that I am very proud to have offered him his first coaching position. He brings the same enthusiasm & spirit of the game to the kids while improving their technique and overall game. Eventually more experienced Austrians will be confident enough to take on the role and the game will take on a more distinct Austrian flavor.

On top of that, a player for Carinthian just publically guaranteed a victory over us on Saturday. Our guys are responding appropriately: a more focused and crisp practice followed that comment.

The rest of Austria calls us the International Team because we have a crazy combination of Swiss, German, US, and Austrians on the team. We are predicted to be the dark horse of the league, many are afraid to put us near the top with Tirol & Vienna, but are hesitant to put us in the bottom with Danube & Carinthian. I think with the systems we have in place, and the solid group of imports who are gelling with the Nationals well, we'll be a very tough team to deal with.

Who knows though, I can't wait to have our first test Saturday. Well...yes I can; I've got a few things to clean up before then.

Either way, great day all around.

No comments: